But that's not why I'm posting. What struck me about the HC post was that they assured authors who felt like self-publishing that this would not bar them from future publication with HC. To quote:
"And as a publisher we certainly don’t have a problem with authors who have self-published: we’ve acquired a number of authors who took this route initially."Which is nice to know, since I've read several self-published books which are better than most of the stuff currently on the shelves at my local bookshop. (I'll pass over the hideous grammar of this sentence and the horrible notion that HC 'acquires' authors - as if we were commodities to be bought and sold.)
Agents, publishers and bookshops act as filters on what is available to us to read. Agents and publishers in particular use their professional skills to prevent the great bulk of manuscripts which are poorly written from being published. This, I believe, is a valuable service. It means that, what you see in the bookshops, in the high street and online, meets a minimum standard of coherence and literacy. It is a fairly low standard, but it is there.
But what the agents, publishers and bookshops also do, is try to guess what we the readers will want to buy. So they exclude manuscripts - however well written, however thoughtful, intelligent and insightful - which they do not expect will sell in large enough numbers. The reason for this is obvious: publishers and booksellers need to make money from selling books, and agents need to make money from supplying publishers with books. If the books that are printed don't sell, the whole supply chain collapses.
For the writers of books, this can be a frustrating, infuriating situation. Some writers are not writing commercial works - but they would still like to see them in print. Some writers are producing highly commercial works but their themes or presentation, genres or style, or whatever, are not judged to be saleable that year, or that month. Some writers who produce good, saleable work still don't get a look in because the industry knows it will make more money from a da Vinci Code lookalike, or a celebrity memoir, and each publisher can only do so many books in any one year.
So there are a lot of writers out there who will take the risk and publish their book themselves - because they believe in it, or because they can make enough money from it (even though a publisher couldn't), or because they just don't care about the money. There is a world of talent and excellence in self-published books that the ordinary buying public never sees simply because the agent-publisher-bookshop chain excludes them.
I can understand why each of these groups is loathe to accept that there can be high quality self-published books. The agents simply have no role in the self-publishing supply chain. The publishers are also excluded middle-men. The booksellers can't easily take on self-published books because, without a book going through the agent-publisher filter, there is no guarantee that it will meet even the minimal standards of quality I mentioned earlier - the booksellers would have to become their own filter, judging the books they allowed on their shelves. (For booksellers, there are also issues of quantity, reliability of supply, economies from single-sourcing, and the sale-or-return deals they have with publishers, that would make them wary of self-published works.)
Which all means that the self-published author, no matter how good he or she is, or how saleable his or her book is, is almost inevitably doomed to economic failure because they simply cannot get their product under the noses of the book-buying public. Yet, in this digital age, it has become cost-effective to lay out all our wares - good, bad and ugly - and let the market decide which are the quality products. After all, we find the best blogs to read, the best news aggregators to visit, and the best online shops. The Web has made finding what we need and what we like easier than it has ever been, and a lot quicker and better-focused than marching around town, browsing through bookshops.
There is so much talk these days about the future of publishing - which is mostly about ebooks and other delivery mechanisms. Maybe some of that talk should get down to the basics of how the whole industry could be restructured to let more voices be heard and to give the public more choice in who they listen to.

4 comments:
Ahh, a most sane and rational overview. When I self-published (independently published) my book I did it for the joy of having a book. Regular readers of my blog bought it knowing what they were buying having read and enjoyed my writing. Some of them told their friends through their blogs. Income from is it ongoing and so is the fabulous and heart warming feedback. The resistance I have encountered has been largely from people who have, as you have pointed out, a vested interest in maintaining the old way, in which a very small group of people decide what is 'fit' for publishing. As the market continues to tighten there will be an increasing economic imperative to only publish books that are deliberately designed to appeal to the broadest possible market. Consequently more and more writers will turn to independent publishing and develop ways of marketing their books. The future is one of increasing possibilties for writers in terms of connecting directly to a readership. Let the 'editors' and 'publishers' and 'agents' cry in their cappucinos whilst the people who provide the actual creative energy continue to do what writers have always done- find creative ways to make a living. Thanks Graham for such a clear and articulate presentation of the issue.
Thanks, Paul. I don't really want to see anybody crying into their cappuccinos, though. The agents and publishers I know personally are all very nice people. They too know the score and understand the faults in the system they are a part of. Within these constraints they do their jobs as well and as honestly as they can, promoting what they believe to be good writing when they get the opportunity.
Sadly, however, I must agree with you that, in these straitened times, we will probably see things get even worse for the writer as publishers and booksellers compete for a dwindling market by becoming increasingly conservative.
I agree with Paul - nice to read something sane and rational about this! Thanks Graham. It made me remember that your post about leaving Authonomy was how I found you originally (and why I keep coming back!)
Paul, thanks for writing everything I wanted to say in reply to this post but a busy few days prevented! It's nice to hear about a positive experience of self-publishing too.
I have a ravenous appetite for writers. I am aware of and annoyed by bookstores offering me what "they think" I will want to read. If it were possible, I would read everything.
"The Web has made finding what we need and what we like easier than it has ever been, and a lot quicker and better-focused than marching around town, browsing through bookshops."
I absolutely LOVE the internet. For a reader, it is a treasure hunt every single day. It's been a while since I finished a hardbound book now that I read on the Web. I tend to read several books at a time in small spurts. But I also don't ever want books to disappear!
Maybe another question you can answer is "what is the future of reading?" Have any of you read a book cover to cover without stopping in the last few years? I didn't make it all the way through "Boom" by Brokaw, even though I was excited to bring it home. Are we doomed to short attention spans? Is that a bad thing?
Post a Comment