Thursday, 2 October 2008

Singularity: What's the Point?

I like blogs that mull ideas.

One idea that is uber-trendy in sci-fi just now is 'the singularity'. It's basically Raymond Kurzweil's prediction that, one day soon, our understanding and technical sophistication will enable the emergence of human-machine hybrids (or just intelligent machines in some versions) which, with exponentially-increasing speed, will rapidly 'upgrade' themselves beyond our understanding. It's a version of the future that tends to end badly for the poor hom saps left behind. So get your brains augmented now guys or you'll miss the boat.

I suppose I'm rather sceptical. Kurzweil's writings tend to be all breathless and excited, with half-formed ideas shooting out in all directions. Wonderful to nibble at now and then but ultimately unsatisfying - like chocolate eclairs. It's not that there is nothing in it - far from it - I just don't see it going the way Kurzweil so obviously longs for it to go. Nor do I see advances in biology, computing, AI, nanotech, etc. ever amounting to a 'singularity' as such. (I wish he'd called it 'The Phase Transition' or something more sensible - 'singularity' is such a bad name for it.) It's hard to believe humans could ever create anything 'transhuman' or, if by some miracle we did, it's hard to see us ever letting it survive. (I also have a strong suspicion that anything 'transhuman' would be so flawed it wouldn't survive long in the wild anyway.)

There is a sense in which the path to transhumanity started when we first began using tools and building shelters - certainly when we stopped hunting and gathering and started farming. Building that first city was probably our biggest mistake! It's hard - probably impossible - deliberately to go back from where you are once that process has started. Of course, there are forces outside our control (climate change, peak oil, pandemics, religion) which could drive us backwards whether we like it or not. Perhaps, if we could develop our intelligence a bit, we would all see what a silly mistake it had all been and take another path.

Anyway, thanks to Sue Lange, writing as Scusteister Schwamp, for reminding me about all this with her Singularity Watch blog. Sue seems to see us all ending up in completely artificial environments one day but I don't see it as inevitable. Some may want it. Many will not. Personally, I would like to live forever - but I'm not holding my breath waiting for the singularity to make it possible.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

G - The Singularity argument (sometimes known as 'the spike'0 does have the fatal flaw of assuming that our progress will naturally be forward.

yeah, sure.

Ask any struggling writer about the inevetibality of upwards progress. I read an article on the SFWA website about reinventing your career as a writer after it stalls. Writen by someone who got a book contract (yay!), published 4-5 books and then couldn't sell a thing. Career stalled when it's not supposed to, it's supposd to go onwards and upwards.

I know, it's a stretch for the analogy but I like it.

terry

Anonymous said...

Actually, Graham, I'm not sure I see us living in an artificial environment. Well, not me anyway. Maybe Brother Ray. To be honest I didn't take the Singularity seriously at all until I read his book. I assumed Vernor Vinge's ideas were nothing more than the fantastic fodder that sf writers love. Which is why I wrote We, Robots. The tagline is: Anything can happen on the way to the Singlarity.

After reading Brother Ray is when paranoia started to set in. Not only does he believe this stuff, but he is actively pursuing it and he does contract work for the military. In other words he as access to the decision-makers in a scary part of the world and he is advising them.

Mostly my take on this whole thing is to sit squarely on the fence. Pro-tech one day, anti-tech the next.

I hope you go back and check my blog, Monica Anderson weighed in on your ideas.

terry, thanks for the comments. We forget that writing is a creative process, not a business prospect subject to the ups and downs of the marketplace. Who says we have to have a bestseller every time we take a dump?

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖