Hot on the heels of placing my first short story, I have now clocked up a new personal best - and possibly a world record. I submitted a short story to a well-known sci-fi magazine yesterday by email (my post is timestamped 9:55 pm) and had a rejection from them, also by email, when I logged on this morning. The rejection letter was timestamped 2:22 am, which means the whole process took 4 hours and 27 minutes!
I am at once impressed by the editor's efficiency and shattered that my story was so easy to reject. I don't know if it is worse to wait the usual three months to get my slap in the face or whether I'm pleased not to have been left in suspense. One thing's for sure, if this kind of efficiency catches on in the publishing world, the rate of rejections per day could be quite overwhelming. I'm not sure my ego can take that kind of intensive pummelling.
Meanwhile, I at least have the pleasure of being the current title holder for the World's Fastest Rejection of a Short Story Under 5,000 Words.
Unless anyone would like to contend it.
Special Offers in July
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment